by The Philadelphia Student Union March 13, 2017
Philadelphia Student Union
The Philadelphia Student Union (PSU) based in West Philadelphia, is a community based youth organizing and leadership development organization led by high school and middle school aged youth with adult support. PSU is national leader in the youth organizing movement with school based, citywide, statewide, and national organizing campaigns and strategies, a well-developed media and communications infrastructure, and supportive programs and services for members. PSU has historically been a leader in the struggle against school privatization. The organization serves as a contributor to the #Vision4BlackLives platform and endorses this movement vision to transform society as a whole.
The Executive Director position begins in June 2017 and overlaps with PSU’s current Executive Director for a period of 3 weeks. The Executive Director will be working with a team of leaders comprised of students, alumni, staff and board members.
More information about PSU can be found at www.phillystudentunion.org.
The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing an annual budget of $360,000, and a staff of 5 full-time employees. To sustain the work of PSU, maintaining as well as seeking out a mix of funding sources from foundations to individual donors will be important to the success of this role.
Leadership and Organizational Development
● Create and execute short and long term strategic program and organizational plans.
● Work with program staff and PSU students to define short and long term program goals.
● Build and maintain strong relationships with community members, school officials, coalitions and other PSU supporters.
● Maintain PSU’s position as a locally and nationally recognized voice for youth-centered, progressive educational justice.
● Report to, interact with and support PSU’s Board of Directors; act as liaison between Board and staff.
● Manage PSU’s external communications.
Development and Fundraising
● Cultivate and manage PSU’s fundraising strategy, including foundation grants, local grants and individual donations.
● Maintain communication with individual and philanthropic donor contacts, cultivate donor prospects, and work in conjunction with the individual donor coordinator to oversee the individual donor campaign.
● Engage and collaborate with PSU’s Board on fundraising.
● Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Treasurer of the Board to prepare and manage PSU’s annual operating budgets.
● Oversee financial management system; work in partnership with the PSU Board to provide fiscal oversight and financial reporting.
● Provide day-to-day management, supervision, and leadership to PSU staff.
● Support staff development, accountability, and a spirit of collaboration within PSU’s staff and among PSU’s partners.
The Executive Director candidate must possess:
● a demonstrated commitment to social justice, youth leadership development, and educational equity in public education;
● experience in nonprofit management;
● strong leaderful orientation with a demonstrated ability to cultivate youth leadership;
● a history of fostering collaboration with staff, students and Board members;
● fundraising and financial management skills, grant writing skills a plus;
● a background in, and knowledge of, large urban public education systems, community organizing, political education, and holistic positive youth development, is strongly preferred;
● strong writing and public speaking skills, as well as the ability to give voice to the issues affecting the students and families that PSU serves;
● political/social values that are in alignment with PSU as they have been demonstrated throughout PSU’s history.
Successful passing of PA State Police Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Clearance required.
This position is scheduled to begin in June 2017. Salary starts at $55,000; varies based on experience. Full benefits including medical, dental and vision.
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. PSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, working class people, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender individuals, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.